Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

It's Been a Fruitful Season

You can't beat the taste - and the health benefits rank #1 ...


Organic, garden fresh broccoli, green beans, strawberries, lettuce, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes.  Plus the occasional fried squash (not a huge fan of squash, but it's tolerable fried).  

I had minimal success germinating cucumbers and the plants I bought from the nursery were mislabeled - hence, the squash plants.  Oops!  They'll make it right, but my Mom and Mother-in-Law want me to share the bounty, so I keep the plants going for their benefit.

Summer veggies have sprouted (corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, green beans).  I haven't gotten around to planting the okra or radishes; the broccoli are still tasty, so I haven't pulled them up yet.  

The basil plants took much longer than expected to establish, but I've harvested a few leaves twice for drying.  I'll work on a short how-to article for drying herbs and attempt to publish it next week.  Today, I noticed they've really started taking off.  Spring was late this year (temperature wise), but summer is fast approaching.  A decent stretch of hot weather will cause the basil to go to seed, limiting it's life span, but it's super easy to grow and will re-seed itself anyway.

Waiting for the steak tomatoes to ripen - still probably 2-3 weeks out on those, yet.  They've been at the top of my list to try this season!  An important tip on growing steak tomatoes:  regular watering prevents them from cracking.  Tomato plants require one gallon of water per day per plant.  If you are forgetful, grow them in an Earth Box.

Speaking of Earth Boxes, the only strawberry plants that are thriving are the two I planted in mine.  My husband unclogged the watering tube, and they are producing about six to ten berries a week again.  Because of their shallow root system, without drip irrigation or an Earth Box, plan to water them several times a day!  Really - if you want them to produce more than a single fruit per plant a week, that is.  I found that they also do better in afternoon shade.


Another passion of mine lies in growing herbs.  If anyone would like to purchase a chocolate mint plant, 6" potted plants are available for $2.50 each.  I also have a dozen spider plants available now for the same price.



A few pictures of the Garden
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment